Return to LA
- Read at least 3 poems from the following list. Choose and print four copies of
the one that you like the best because of either its meaning, sensory or concrete details,
use of similes or metaphors.
- On your copy, circle one line from the poem that is an excellent example of why you
chose the poem. Briefly explain why in the margin of the paper.
- Join a team of 4 in a circle, away from the computers.
- The first person reads their poem aloud.
- Then the group discusses the poem for: A) Understanding and B) Author's
technique- meaning through use of sensory or concrete details AND/OR use of
- During the discussion, each person circles a line that stood out to them based on the
talk and shares why. The reader is last to share his/her line.
- When discussion is completed, the next person in the group reads their piece.
Exception: Two or more people picked the same poem, the piece need
not be repeated.
- Jigsaw Teams to form new teams of 4 and repeat step 3.
- 10 minute reflection write (continuous write)
What did you learn or realize about the poem you chose through discussion (You may choose
to write about a poem someone else presented)?
-what people said that struck a cord inside you.
-your experiences, beliefs, people, and/or feelings that the poem brings to you.
- Circle or highlight words and/or phrases from the reflection write that stand out as
- Using some or all the words, write a poem (rough draft)
Minimum requirements: Use concrete or sensory details + 10
Suggestions: Write the poem in narrative
form based on an experience that demonstrates your idea.
Rough Draft is due for the next Class